Friday 16 November 2012

Week 7 - The Northern Lights take shape!

My new painting is coming together nicely to say that left to my own devices last week i didn't make the best of starts!  My lines were too horizontal and i should have left white where the bright green streaks should go.  But with a little help, i managed to pull it back!  I also left the paintbrushes behind this week and painted with rags instead!  This enabled me to get rid of any brush marks.  By painting in a circular motion with the rag it allowed me to achieve a nice smooth atmospheric film which is associated with the northern lights.  You learn something new every day!  Everyone in class was impressed with the start i made.  I think this is going to be one beautiful painting!

The sky was painted with rags and the snow with a paintbrush to achieve the difference in surfaces.

Colours in the snow reflect the sky.  I'm looking forward to getting the trees in!

The sky painted in rags. This needs another glaze over the top as you can still see those horizontal lines!

No comments:

Post a Comment